Thursday 3 January 2013

To Hell With New Years Resolutions

Joseph Campbell once said that "We must let go of the life we had planned so as to have the life that is waiting for us." 

I have recently admitted that I do not have a 5-year development plan for my career during a job interview. As unprofessional as it sounds, it was a candid answer. I don't live life like USSR after WWI, I really don't have plans for future development. At the expense of blowing my chances, I played my cards openly. 

With the new years, everyone should show some sincerity to themselves. You don't need the calender to tell you to change your life. We all know, starting a diet on Monday or a new life on Jan 1st never sticks. We should focus on our experiences and try to learn a little. 

In the book Conversations with God, it says that God gives you the same test over and over again until you take a good lesson out of it and change yourself. So, better look where you were last year this time and then walk your way through now. You probably never have imagined you'd be at this point in life a year ago. But don't get stucked on the miserable moments, they must have made you stronger and/or wiser in some way since you've survived.


I recently read the most inspiring analogy "...If a caterpillar judged his metamorphosis by the first step – being locked up in a cocoon – he would never experience flight."
You've got to look at the bigger picture and figure out which choices led to which results and what are your take home messages.

Dreaming about the future and putting unrealistic targets is as pointless as obsessing over your past. Instead, you should reflect on the past and be hopefull that you learn more out of this year.

No comments: